Champaign-Urbana Tenant Union

Address: 326 Illini Union
Phone: (217) 333-0112
Hours: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday

A project of the Student Government Association funded by SGA & SORF

The Tenant Union is a service and advocacy organization that provides a resource for people who rent their housing and works to stimulate equitable relations between tenants and landlords.

In just one year --

Prevent problems and save time and money by knowing your rights as a tenant. Come to the Tenant Union for:

  1. Information about prospective landlords' reputations - we have complaint files on over 600 landlords.
  2. Help with reading and understanding leases and with making changes to reflect your interests.
  3. Apartment inventory forms to help protect against unfair deductions from your deposit.

Contact the Tenant Union any time you have a problem or a question about matters such as:


You can obtain valuable information by simply calling the Tenant Union at (217) 333-0112. Answers to many questions can be provided at the time that you call.


If you need to speak with someone in person, staff are available to review your lease, discuss your problem, and when necessary, contact your landlord on your behalf.

Helpful printed materials are also available at the Tenant Union. These include:

All services and materials are provided at no charge. No appointment is necessary.


Have you been told there's plenty of parking? Will the landlord paint your aprtment before you move in? Are you expecting certain furniture or appliances to be provided by the landlord?

Be sure to always get oral promises written into your lease; it's the only way to prove the promise was made.


The Teannt Union provides speakers for any interested group, in addition to our programs in residence halls and at other campus locations. We would be glad to provide a speaker for your sorority, fraternity, certified housing unit, or registered student organization.


The Tenant Union is funded in part by Student Government Association and by the Student Organization Resource Fee (SORF). These funders provide the resources for your service to be full-time, year-round.

In addition, your $5.00 per semester SORF fee fully funds the Student Legal Service. If your housing problem gets to the point where you need a lawyer, you'll be glad that you did not take a SORF refund. Students who obtain a SORF refund cannot use the Student Legal Services.

The Tenant Union does not provide legal services of any kind. All information we provide is intended to help the average person deal with the basic concerns related to renting. When legal help is needed, consult with an attorney at law.