Know Your Rental Rights!
Return to Main Menu for Know Your
- Put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.
- Keep the common areas safe and sanitary.
- Comply with building, housing, health, and safety codes.
- Keep in good working order all electrical, plumb-ing, heating,
and ventilation systems and fixtures.
- Maintain all appliances and equipment supplied or required to
be supplied by the landlord.
- Provide running water and reasonable amounts of hot water and
heat, unless the hot water and heat are supplied by an installation
that is under the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a
direct public utility hook-up.
- Provide garbage cans and arrange for trash removal if the
landlord owns four or more residential units in the same building.
- Give at least 24 hours notice, unless it is an emergency,
before entering a tenant's unit, and enter only at reasonable times
and in a reasonable manner.
- Evict the tenant when informed by a law enforcement officer of
drug activity by the tenant, a member of the tenant's household, or
a guest of the tenant occurring in or otherwise connected with the
CTO has Model Letters
that may be used if you are having a problem.