Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Filing for damage done to apartment...

Posted by Edward White on January 10, 2000 at 12:27:28:

Wife and I paid a pro-rated portion of the rent to an apartment complex owned by Summit. We had bought a house and was moving out before the
lease was up. Eveyone was happy and I sent a letter with address and phone if they have any questions. We had to be out of the apartment before
Nov 20th and when we came back for the rest of the stuff, "junk actually, was trying to clean up the place", everything was gone and it looked like
they were painting the walls. Well, we said. Guess we need to leave the key for them now. We figured since we broke the lease, we wouldn't even
ask for the deposit. Three months later, we get a letter stating we owed Summit an additional$749.00. I thought we already pro-rated the rent I thought?
Looking closely and calling the number supplied, I got in touch with a collection agency and come to find out, the money owed is not for rent, but for
damage to the carpet and walls. What!? There was no carpet damage other than wear and tear. There were places where the carpet was coming apart.
My wife knew the previous tenant who stated that the carpet was not new when he moved in. When we moved in, the carpet was not replaced either.
So this carpet was 3 years old by the time we moved out. A leak from the washing machine upstairs caused a water stain on the wall. This was not
our fault. The woman upstairs had put the hose that drains the water in the wrong hole. Now these collection people call us and hound us on our
responsablities of getting this paid. I refuse to pay it. I was not even notified from Summit that there was damage. Suddenly a collection agency calls
and we look like bad guys. What are my rights? What can I do? If I get a lawyer, that would mean money that I don't have.

Edward White
Charlotte, NC

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name