Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

HELP!!! it's getting worse (con't. unlawfully evicted and abused...)

Posted by sara on January 16, 2000 at 04:15:52:

Well, the story gets worse I'm afraid. Now I really need some help. I had written two messages that I posted here about my landlord ("unlawfully evicted & abused by landlord, scared and need help"). I was two hours away from my apartment when all that awful stuff happend to my roomate (physically thrown out of apartment by landlord and three unidentified men, told if he returned they would break his legs, prior to this happening living without heat or electricity, landlord entering apt with key without any notice written or otherwise and screaming threats, plus more-see previous message). The day that happend I called the police and my roomate went to the police and they did nothing. I became physically ill from the situation (flu, fever, sweating, shaking, etc.) and have been bedridden for about a week now. The landlord told me over the phone that he had changed the locks. He told my roomate after threatening him and making him fear for his life (he hasn't been to the apt since) that the locks would be changed. Today I called the landlord's office in hopes of salvaging a few of my belongings that cannot be replaced (old books, etc.). He was not there. I told the girl in the office that I needed to get some of my things and that I would only be able to come at night (I don't have a car or any trans where I'm staying). She told me she didn't think he changed the locks but that she would call another manager to find out for sure. Well, when I called back I found out-HE NEVER CHANGED THE LOCKS!!!! He lied to me knowing I was two hours away and he threatened my roomate and threw him out so violently after entering with the key that my roomate feared too much for his life to return to the apartment. At the moment I don't believe my landlord is aware that I know he never changed the locks-which is why he was so cocky ("I dare you to call the police! Please!"). I just found this information out today. I am completely disgusted with this. My roomate finally got a room in someone else's apartment but had to live homeless for aprox ten days because of this! The office where the landlord works is a floor below my apartment. Because he lied about changing the locks to me and because he threatened us with violence I lost my new job because I thought I had no apartment. He knew if I actually got the police over there he would just laugh in my face and say "hey the locks arent' changed". what about the electricity? "oh, there's a problem and we're working on it.." and the cops would smile, and the landlord would smile, and I would be screwed even more than I already have been. I'm thinking about getting him on tape, I'm thinking about taping phone conversations, I'm thinking possible video-if anyone has any other good ideas LET ME KNOW ASAP-I'm going in there to get the precious items that I can't replace and I'm leaving my IKEA furniture as a martyr! HELP! Send me ideas on what to do about this-I can't get this guy for illegal lockout now even though he's done a bunch of other stuff the lockout would have been the clincher. Send your ideas now! If you need more background check the other messages ("unlawfully evicted and abused by landlord, scared and need help" and "continue...") Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name