Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Blacklisted from getting a NYC apartment

Posted by jmr on January 19, 2000 at 08:12:02:

I've read with great disgust other post on this same subject. I've lived in a commercial building in Brooklyn whose landlord allowed artists to live here back in 1988 when he could not rent to any commercial tenants. We lived here peacefully until this year when the building was sold and the newer owners filed to evict all 20 people living in the building so that they could take it over for other purposes. Our lawyers worked out a settlement (buyout) and we received a letter of reccommendation from the landlord that we paid our rent on time for 12 years and were current in all our obligations. We played it by the book. Despite the fact the case was not in housing court but commercial court, despite the fact we received a very favorable letter of recomend, we are unable to rent an apartment in nyc simply do the the presence of a court action on our record. No one seems to care what the circumstances of the case were. We've been blacklisted even though we have spotless record as tenants.

I would love to hear from anyone who has insight into how to proceed in finding an apartment. If there is any legal recourse, etc. Does any one know how brokers and/or landlords find this info- is it by name and address alone?

regards,

jmr

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name