Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord wants to build terrace 10 ft. into apt.

Posted by Laura on January 20, 2000 at 11:42:31:

In September, my roomate andI signed a 2 yr. lease on a 4br apt. There are 4 of us living in the apt., but the landlord did not want 4 people
on the lease, nor would they give us a 1 year lease (which we wanted). There is a clause in the rider of the lease wich allows for the landlord
to serve us with a termination notice and then we will have ~6 months to move after the judge rules on it to vacate. (this is not exactly correct,
but I don't have the lease in front of me). The building is in Manhattan, not rent stabilized or controlled (as far as I know). There are about 12
living units in the building with a restaurant on the first and 2nd floor and offices on the 3rd. The apts are loft- like - with makeshift
walls partitioning the space.
Yesterday, we recieved two letters from the managment company, one saying the building has been sold to a new owner, the other saying
the new owners want to build a "terrace" 10 ft into the apt that will adjoin with the apt. next to ours. They also want to put anothe layer of
sheet rock on the wall dividing the two apt.
What rights do we have regarding the construction of the "terrace" (which will be cavelike and overlook the back of a school behind us)?
Can we stop/delay what will be major construction? They have indicated they will invoke the termination clause if we try to oppose the construction.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name