Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: illegal sublet - should i? maybe not!

Posted by richard on January 21, 2000 at 00:30:01:

In Reply to: illegal sublet - should i? posted by lorraine on January 20, 2000 at 22:42:32:

Mike is right say its a roomate...... you have a right to sublet to your friend at the $800 rent with the landlords approval, .but here's the big IF..... where are you moving to? OUT of state? far away...then you might have a BIG problem...
The Landlord in my last building Harrased a tenant of 15 years becuase he sent his rent check in from different STATES! he was visiting his kids in texas arizona california & canada and the landlord served him with a non primary residence petition becuase of the out of state postmarks.
So you might have to face that too someday...... So it wouldbe best NOT to change your drivers license and to file New York State tax forms, vote here in new York, and keep the electric and phone in your name...
And leave a lot of your stuff in the apartment, all of that will prove that you have a roomate, and not illegally subletting it.

And how sure of you of this roomate??????? will the roomate send you the rent check BEFORE the first of the month????? Because if you allow for mail to be delivered will the Landlord get your check BEFORE a late fee is imposed???? Or will you have enough to cover the roomates ASS if He/she cant pay the rent... You want to make sure the Landlord will have no reason to ask why was the check late or it bounced and its on an out of state bank....

And if you move your stuff do you know when the super or doorman IS NEVER AROUND do it then,,,,,,Hope that helps a little....
-------------------------------

: ok tenants and lawyers, what do you think. i have a rent stabilized apt.
: over 60 apts in building. pre war. i want to sublet to a very good friend.
: i pay 800 and with the 20% + vacancy allowance the rent could
: go up to 1000$. i also would have to come back in two years (which i may do)
: - i'm going out of town for a job that may work out or may not. but i don't want
: to lose the apt. i don't want my friend to pay 1000 and i don't want to lose the apt. if i decide to stay out of town longer than two years. i do everything by the book, but
: am thinking of illegally subletting. i know i could get caught and prompty evicted, if caught. but i've been here 8 years, send rent checks monthly, renew leases
: and never once actually deal with management in person. the supers are great and may turn the other way. i'm checking it out. my question: how foolish is this?
: what is the liklihood of landlord charging vacancy? why wouldnt they? if i do it illegally, how do i deal with mailing address, utilities, stuff like that - yes, i'm asking
: for info to support an illegal sublet. how is it done? any advice, warnings, bad experiences are welcome.
: lorraine

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name