Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Housing court facts request

Posted by Kieran Downes on January 24, 2000 at 09:59:49:

Hi all,

My sister and I are currently embroiled in a dispute with our landlord, and want to find out some facts about housing court should it come to that. Are there any websites that explain the basic procedures for initiating a claim against a landlord? Our basic situation is that our landlord gave us a stipulation in our original two year lease that stated: if we were to need to move out before the end of the two-year period, we need only give 30-days notice. This stipulation was made on an addendum to our standard lease form. In spite of repeated requests, both written and verbal, she has refused to provide us with a copy of this addendum with the aforementioned stipulation. We do need to move out, and notified her to that effect, providing 41 days notice, only to have her fly off the handle and claim that the agreement was only if we were moving out due to an emergency or because one of us was leaving town (which was not the original agreement in the addendum). During the course of other discussion she has also denied the agreement every existed.

While it appeared we had reached an amicable conclusion, it now appears we may have more trouble. We have made several verbal agreements with her, such as moving out by the 1st of February instead of our original notification date of the 15th. We're attempting to get this all in writing, but there is a distinct possibility that our landlord will refuse to sign anything we present. What recourse do we have? Without a copy of the original addendum to our lease, all we have is our word against hers. I'd like to hear about anyone else's experience with these sorts of disputes, and what there experiences have been with housing court. Thanks a lot!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name