Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord claims I owe ALL security deposit

Posted by Anna on January 25, 2000 at 16:26:52:

In Reply to: Landlord claims I owe more security deposit posted by Virginia on January 21, 2000 at 17:28:27:

: I moved into rent-stabilized apartment in 1977 (NYC). Paid one month security deposit. I don't still have check from way back then, but have original and subsequent leases stating amount of security deposit. However, a number of years ago the building was taken out of the hands of the (incompetent) owner and into receivership. Unfortunately, the appointed receiver seems to have absconded with building funds and records. New receiver was appointed and new management claimed that they never got their hands on the security deposits

None of you have to pay your security deposits a second time: if the old owner did not give them to the new owner, the new owner must sue him, not bother you.

Pay only the 2-4% increase, as usual. Search a little harder for your original check or a receipt... but you have your old leases, that should be enough.

Organize the tenants: write a letter from all/many of you.

Read more about all this on TenantNet Home. There may be a similar cas in Housing Court Decisions. And read the DHCR Fact Sheet on this subject: file complaints from many tenants at the same time for a better response.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name