Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Eviction for Failure to Show Owners Home

Posted by Julio Rivera on January 29, 2000 at 23:09:02:

I live in a Borough of NY and rent a single family home. It is not rent stablized. I have been in the home for 3 years, the last two of which have been on a month-to-month basis. For the last year my landlord has been trying to sell the house. I have provided access to realtors to the house on average 2-3 times a week. They have even had 2 open houses. Recently I advised the agent for the house that I could not show the house after 5pm Mon-thur, because I had two kids who were doing homework and getting ready for bed. I also asked that weekend visits were limited to a 2-3 consectutive hours on either Sat/Sun. This way my whole weekend was not blown. I have to look for a new place to live sometime. My landlord took exception to my requests and claims I am the reason his house has not sold. My question is, am I being unresonabole in my requests? During the summer I did allow access after 5pm, but not during school time.

He now has decided to evict me and my family, becuase he says I cannot be worked with. Everything I have read says access requires 24 hours advance notice and needs to be resonable. What is reasonable? I also read some where it said access had to be between normal business hours. Is this true?

One last question... He will be serving me a notice to evict in 30 days. I cannot move in 30 days. How much time can I expect a judge to give me and my two kids (under 10).

Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name