Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

eviction of a one family home rental

Posted by raul irizarry on February 02, 2000 at 23:33:21:

Five years in July we rented a home in Maspeth, Queens. My landlord has always been paid her rent on or before the first of the month. In the month of November the unit which heats the two bedroom small house stopped working. We called the Landlord and was told she was on vacation for two weeks. We then called the plumber she uses to check the unit. He told us the ignition switch on the gas unit was no longer working. We asked him if he could repair it and was told she always gave him a problem and unless he got her okay he would not do it. He then said he would call her daughter and see if she could contact her and get an okay. It was a very cold week in November and he felt sorry for us since we had a problem with the water heater the last time she was on vacation and spent two weeks without water. The plumber got the okay from the daughter and after five days fixed the gas furnace. My landlord never called to see if everything was now okay however, at 9:30 on November 31ST she called to make sure we had the rent for the next day. Since the month before we had paid her on the 2ND and not on the first. My husband got very upset with her and told her she would have the rent on the third and why she called for her rent and not called to make sure we had heat when she got back from vacation. She lost control and told my husband we were the ones who broke the gas furnace due to negligence and if we did not like it to get the hell out. Also, she was not going to let us get away with paying our rent late. This from a women who has called a week before the first to get her rent because she was going on vacation (we paid her twice over a week before the first so she could go on vacation) My husband proceded to tell her she was unfair and nuts for talking to him like a crazy person since we did nothing to the gas furnace but turn it on and the plumber had said the ignition switch going out is very commom. Two days before Christmas we received a letter telling us we had 30 days to vacate. She sent her boyfriend the retired cop with the gun and a attitude to tell us we could stay if we paid $50.00 more a month. We agreed to pay the $50.00. He then told us she also wanted us to pay her lawyers fees. My husband and I said absolutely not since we had told her daughter when she picked up Decembers rent for her to contact us so we could discuss the problem. Anyway today we received court papers to appear in court. We were not contacted yesterday by no one to pick up the rent so she went to court and signed legal papers yesterday. We have made many improvements in this two bedroom house (I have all the receipts) However, we have build a life in this area new job is ten minutes away and my grandaughters school is in this neighborhood. (My grandaughter lives with me). I am at my wits end i do not know what are my rights can a landlord evict you for no reason? All my rent receipts for almost five years are dated the first of the month. I also pay all of my heat electricity and water including sewer charge. Can someone please anwser my questions and tell me what do I do now! Note: Our rent has always been picked up by her boyfriend who gets cash from us but, I do get a receipt.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name