Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: TOO MUCH heat!

Posted by Anna on February 05, 2000 at 10:17:15:

In Reply to: TOO MUCH heat! posted by Craig Nixon on February 04, 2000 at 08:46:26:

: I live in a garden style complex. There are 16 units in each building. I do not pay for heat. The question is: are there guidelines for indoor temperature at the other end of the spectrum? The temp in my unit is often over 80 degrees, even with the A/C running at all times. Recently, it became impossible to get the indoor temp below 87 for a period of over 12 hours. As far as I can see, this would violate Warranty of Habitalbility as much as no heat would. Comments? This condition has existed for over a year.

You don't say what city/state you live in.

Here in NY state, the only indoor temp laws are those requiring minimum indoor temp of 68 when outdoor is 55 etc. see Heat section on TenantNet Home.

While you're there: read about writing effective complaint-letters. Then write them.

If you can prove physical injury or financial damages, you can sue for breach of contract (lease); the breach is of the Warranty of Habitability implied by statute in every residential lease in NYS. An expensive option, consult a lawyer.

Read about other court options on TenantNet Home: withholding rent and getting sued; suing for repairs in an HP Action.

Suggest instead that you tell us what kind of heating system it is: one of us probably has practical suggestions....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name