Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I Want A DSL Connection: My Landlord Says No

Posted by Willard on February 07, 2000 at 12:19:17:

In Reply to: I Want A DSL Connection: My Landlord Says No posted by Frederick De Naples on February 06, 2000 at 19:53:11:

I am in a similar situation. The landlord has no problem with Bell doing things to the box downstairs but forbids running wire outside the building for second phone lines....I had to pick Bell Atantic as my DSL provider. They are a pain to deal with but they provide DSL over the same voice circuit you use now with no changes to your downstairs wiring. At least none that I'm aware of. In about 6 months because of an FCC ruling they will have to let their competitors be able to provide DSL over your voice line as well.

why not just order a second phone line? have others in the building done that?

By the way by law your landlord cannot deny access to the voice wiring in the basement...the're consumer protections for that. Everybody by law is entitled to voice service. But he can deny permission to drop external wires down the side of the building....or

If the wiring is really that bad perhaps you should offer the landlord to call buildings inspectors in for hime?? Does your phone crackle? Smell smoke from the phone room? Sounds like inspection time to me... Then he'll probably have pay and upgrade everybody....sounds fair to me.

for more info about dsl goto http://www.dslreports.com

and see what you qualify for...

Will

: Though my landlord is usually quite human, he's become mule-headed about letting Bell Atlantic. install the necessary wiring for a DSL connection. The building's phone lines are as old as the building, which was built in the early 1900s, and the landlord fears that new wiring might damage the fragile old lines (it's happened before, he claims).

: A previous response on TenantNet (see link) advised someone in a similar situation to run the line himself. Can I really do that? I'd have to run the line down the exterior of the building and get it close to the basement--which is where I'd have to ask permission to get inside, find the right connection on the phone box, etc.

: I'm not sure where my right to a DSL connection ends and my landlord's right to keep his phone lines as-is begins.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name