Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No record = not registered

Posted by SamE on February 10, 2000 at 19:42:54:

In Reply to: What does posted by Ray Tristanovich on February 07, 2000 at 15:23:35:

: I've been trying to find out whether the apartment I'm subleasing is rent-stabilized without tipping
: my hand to the leaseholder. (I've been here nearly two years....) I asked DHCR for a rent regulation
: history. They sent me a form that had the followingbox checked:

: "No record of a Registration Statement is on file for the years:"

: ... and "1984 present" is written in afterwards.

it means there is no registration for those years. it does not mean there should or should not be one, just that the landlord hasn't registered the apt.

: Does that mean the building is NOT stabilized? If so, that strikes me as odd -- it's clearly prewar,
: all-rental, and consists of 18 units.

could be coop, j-51, several other things.

: One odd thing: In the lobby of the building, among the signs indicating the building's owner and
: registration number and whatnot, there's one odd sign (addresses changed to protect us all!):
: "123 Blah Blah Street, a.k.a. 321-323 Such and Such Street". I asked DHCR for records for the
: a.k.a. address, but was informed that because I couldn't prove residence there (I get my mail
: at 123 Blah Blah Street) the department couldn't release any records.

call DHCR: use that aka address: have them mail you another one, but keep quite about the whole story.

: Anybody have any ideas what gives? Will getting a warrant of habitability help?

try the 'is your apt/bldg stabilized?' section on tenant.net and on housingnyc.com; if you don't understand the results, and who does?, write them here: someone might help decifer them.

you can also go to Housing Court and look up your bldg's landlord's name: if he has sued other tenants in your bldg, the court papers should say what kind of tenant it was.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name