Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: building sold, old management has our last months rent still

Posted by DK on February 16, 2000 at 21:12:36:

In Reply to: building sold, old management has our last months rent still posted by jn on February 15, 2000 at 10:06:49:

NY General Obligations Law § 7-107 makes the purchaser of a building with rent stabilized apartments responsible for the security deposit whether or not the seller turned over the money at the closing. Paying the last month's rent in advance as well as a one month security deposit is a violation of the rent stabilization code.

You could skip a month now citing the law or you could wait until your ready to move and deduct it then. A less agressive approach would be to call DHCR and get the form to complain about the extra security deposit--but that will take a long time before they resolve it and you may get very frustrated. I would just deduct the extra security from the next rent payments with a letter to the new landlord explaining what you are doing.

: I am in NYC in a 24 unit rent stabilized building. Recently our building was sold and another management agency is handling the property. When we originally moved into the apt, we had to pay first, last and security. Only the security has transfered over...the old company still has our last months rent. I am now in the 3rd week of trying to get a check for our last month or having it transfered to the new owner. The letter has 'been in the mail' and now the person I need to speak with is 'on the other line'. What is the next step to be taken? How hard do I push? I have all proof of payments made. Please help. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name