Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord problems HELP!

Posted by Chris on February 17, 2000 at 15:15:38:

Hi,

If anyone can give me some good advice, I would greatly appreciate it!!! :)
I rent in a legal 2 family house(3 bedrooms)in Queens, NY for 900.00 a month.
The landowners are new Americans and have made comments in the past regarding our "American customs." This is just the mere tip of the iceburg as they refuse to fix anything unless they receive a 50 -75 dollar rent increase per year.
As tenants, we truly try by replacing carpeting, plastering and painting.
In the midst of all of this, our landlord confided in us that she can not afford the mortgage and has been accepted on public assistance. This might sound crazy, but I don't even know who actually own this house as we have no binding papers and we are told to make checks out to many different names.
To make matters worse, we don't get an adequate amount of heat or hot water and are even getting sick from living here. I have
called the different agencies about this matter but all seem to be on the
landowners side.
Also, a friend moved out of her 2 bedroom appartment about 6 months ago and the landlords sued her for damaging the appartment! She lost in court and I was told the judge did not even "want" to hear her side of the story.
A few days ago, I met a nice man who lives next to her old landowners. What he said about the landowners shocked me! He said that these land owners actually tore their own property apart,took pictures of the so called "damage" that was done!!
This is a sad world we live in when the low to middle working class can't
even rent without fear and anxiety eating at their brains on a daily basis!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name