Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant is leaving voluntarily; I am a 'share'. What are my rights?

Posted by JJ on February 21, 2000 at 16:07:32:

In Reply to: Tenant is leaving voluntarily; I am a 'share'. What are my rights? posted by David on February 17, 2000 at 01:32:45:

: I am sharing in New York (Brooklyn). It's a three family house, over 50 years old, my roommate (the legal tenant on the lease) has lived there about three years. I have lived there over a year, but never had my name on the lease which expired at end of December. However landlord's sister did turn new keys over to me three months ago when they changed the lock, and the super and neighbors all know me as living there (although the landlord herself disclaims all knowledge of me). My roommate (the legal tenant) reached a voluntary agreement with the landlord to vacate by the end of February. (No eviction proceedings). I need longer than that to organize a move. Do I have any right to stay there longer? Can the landlord lock me out, or impound my possessions (or worse, trash them)?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope you read the stuff on http://www.tenant.net/ , NY Tenant Info, and called one of those groups listed.

If you've done nothing: go to the Housing Court tomorrow. Get a copy of the case. read it. take it to the pro se attorney or the info table: I'm not sure but I think the landlord was supposed to sue you for eviction. This means either your roommate, because he's your landlord, or your roommate's landlord, becvause he knows you live there.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name