Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: window bars in NYC

Posted by Minty on February 25, 2000 at 12:10:55:

In Reply to: window bars in NYC posted by X on February 23, 2000 at 22:43:47:

The same thing happened to me a few years ago - the intruder scaled the wall from the roof, into the kitchen window through the airshaft. The scary part, at least in my case, was that the person must have been smoking crack to take such a risk. Luckily, nothing was missing from my room (I snickered at the thought of some intruder on a bad high trying to make heads or tails of my messy room!), but my roommate lost a few hundred dollars. We were just thankful that we weren't home at the time. From then on, we had to keep all the airshaft windows shut, which did prevent another break in. I can't imagine that someone would take such a risk if there wasn't a window open at least a crack (especially from the top), for the thief to wedge open further. However, it sounds like this would be worth your while to pursue with the landlord, even if you have to pay out of pocket, especially if you are female. I can't imagine any landlord in his or her right mind would be unreasonable about this (but I suppose stranger things have happened, ha!). I would install them regardless, because my pesonal safety outweighs both any curmudgeon of a landlord or housing law.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name