Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking a lease...

Posted by Anna on February 29, 2000 at 00:16:53:

In Reply to: Breaking a lease... posted by Sathya Gosselin on February 28, 2000 at 15:24:50:

Three more points:

1. call HPD immediately 212.960.4800: report that broken window (very seious to
them this time of year!) and the other conditions. They will either call your LL or show
up unannounced for an inspection. If they can't get access to your apt, they will leave
a card and mail a 'missed-you' notice. Call them back to set up a real appointment. If
you do not receive a copy of the violation notice in the mail, go to their local office in a
couple of weeks and get a certified copy. This will be very important evidence if you
end up in housing or small claims court. HPD enforces some codes/laws concerning
maintenance of apts.

2. Learn about your basic tenants' rights on TenantNet Home, NY Tenant Info. Soon.
Start here:

3. You can assign your lease, it is a right guaranteed by law. There have been many
many posts about this: learn more by using the search feature in this forum for 'break
lease' and/or for 'RPL 226-b'.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name