Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Early Sublease Termination: no deposit?

Posted by Anna on March 06, 2000 at 00:45:44:

In Reply to: Early Sublease Termination: no deposit? posted by Sung Kim on March 03, 2000 at 07:20:43:

: I have all my banking checks to approve that she's withholding my deposit + rent and all the e-mails dating from the end of last October to present. On the other hand, I don't even have a single proof of residence (no elec or phone; which might explain why she insisted on keeping her own name on the util bills) to prove that I actually lived there (for pulling rent history from DHCR). =(

Did you receive any mail addressed to you in that apt? Bring it, your emails, your cancelled checks to DHCR in person, ask for the Rent History. You really need this information to be able to decide to sue her or not. You could always just file an Overcharge Complaint at DHCR (you realize, don't you, OC's only occur in rent stab/controlled apts? If tha's a coop-sublet, she can charge anything she wants to).

: Any advice? Can anyone recommend me an experienced landlord-tenant laywer? or Should I drop this altogther

NO: DON'T DROP IT. (You can sue in Small Claims for a maximum of $3000. That would cover your loss, but not the overcharge).

Are you sure she's a law clerk? A law clerk works for a judge (they do earn a good salary, but not enough to spend $20,000 on rent; ps: utilities don't cost $200/month either: gas + electric are around $50). You said she's trying to pass the bar... a person is supposed to be of good moral character to pass the bar. Please tell your story to a good lawyer: call one of those who advertise here or call Met Council on Housing for a referral 212.693.0550. Tell them early in the conversation that you sublet from this law clerk and the judge's name, if you know it. You might have to pay a consultion fee ~$150-200, which they should add to the amount she owes you, but they should be able to deal with this in one phone call and/or one letter. She could lose her career. And should.

Here's another way to find a lawyer:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name