Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: not renewing my lease

Posted by Anna on March 06, 2000 at 18:06:39:

In Reply to: not renewing my lease posted by Rick on March 06, 2000 at 13:24:37:

: my land lord has not renewed my lease so by 6/30/99, it says i must get out, but i remember it being a two years lease i ddo not have it here, but they are also going to drop rent control on this building is that the reason should i call them

NO. Do not call your landlord YET.

If you are stabilized and your landlord failed to offer a renewal, you stay there at the same old rent. He cannot evict you for his failure to offer a new lease.

You can't be 'rent controlled' if you have a two-year lease that's ends 6/30/99, you're probably 'rent stabilized'. You really need to learn more about being a tenant in NYC...

Start on TenantNet Home, http://www.tenant.net/ click on NY Tenant Info on that page. Read the Tenant Guides, and the Rent Regulated section , esp the DHCR Fact Sheets. Then come back to this forum and read earleier messages on this subject. If your apt is rent stabilized, SEARCH for 'lease renewal'. If it isn't, then SEARCH for '30-day notice'.

Meanwhile, find that lease! This is important! (because you seem to think the stabilization expires soon).

Also: call DHCR, ask for a Rent History. You'll receive it in a few days: it will show your rent, your apt status, and why it is or isn't stabilized.

After all that research, write a new message if you still have questions.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name