Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Checks Not Cashed By Landlord

Posted by Mark Smith on March 10, 2000 at 08:12:52:

In Reply to: returned rent checks by landlord posted by ann on March 08, 2000 at 13:26:05:

Send your payments by certified mail, return receipt requested. Also make a copy of your check, and of the rent bill, if you get one.

You can also file a complaint with DHCR, based on the landlord's failure to offer a renewal lease. Any rent increase for the renewal lease will be delayed until the landlord offers a proper renewal lease.

: I have been living in the same rent stabilized apartment for more than 20 years. The two-year lease was up at the end of last year. I did not receive a renewal form from my landlord, and notified him of this by registered mail about two months before my lease was up. He made no response. I have continued paying my rent (at the old rate) but he has not cashed any of the checks (four months worth). I know my landlord would like to see me move, but other than occupying a rent-stabilized apartment, I have given him no reason for eviction.

: Is there anything I should be doing, since I doubt he is planning on letting me live here rent free?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name