Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking lease due to job change: where???

Posted by Anna on March 12, 2000 at 21:55:07:

In Reply to: Breaking lease due to job change posted by Johnny Cheng on March 07, 2000 at 12:54:35:

In NYS, you have the absolute right to assign your lease (find a replacement). If your landlord refuses consent unreasonably, you are released from the obligation to pay the remaining months. You have to follow the correct procedure. Read more about it here: search for 'assign' or for RPL 226-b (that's the law itself).

Other states require the landlord to 'mitigate damages': honestly look for a replacement, not just sit and wait to sue you. Search here for your state's name and go to TenantNet Home, Other States in right column.

RE: the $250: if it isn't in your lease, they can't collect it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name