Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Surprise! I'm in an ILLEGAL SUBLET! (URGENT: S.O.S.)

Posted by Grape Tang on March 16, 2000 at 18:00:08:

First off, I know what the first response to this will be. I should have done more checking into the unit I am in before moving in and getting a rude surprise. To this, I say YOU'RE RIGHT and that I'm learning a valuable lesson. That said, I will tell my story (and if the price of good help is a tongue-lashing from all of you, it's a small price for me to pay...so lecture away, mates!)

Here's the story, as simply as I can tell it:

A friend of mine was renting an apartment for several years. He was not given a lease, but he never had problems in the entire time he lived in the apartment. He recently moved out of state, and asked me if I would be interested in moving into his apartment. I saw it, I liked it, I talked to the landlord, and everything seemed fine. Most of my decision was based on the fact that my friend had nothing but good things to say about the apartment and the people who were renting to him.

Not long after I moved into the apartment, I ran into problems. I also discovered that I was involved in an illegal sublet. A VERY illegal sublet.

Here's my problem. I want to report this, but I'm afraid of having no place to live, and I'm afraid of the people I'm renting from doing something vindictive to me. I think I'm in a horrible situation with really crooked, dishonest people, and I want out.

I know that my lack of discretion before moving in is costing me, and that I'm not "owed" a place to live simply because of the situation I'm in. I'm doing my best to "own" my mistake, and I'm not asking for an easy "out". By the same token, I don't want to be implicated for something that I want out of, so I feel like I should do SOMETHING. I really don't know what to do, but I do know I need help, and I need to know what I can do, if anything. And, given the situation, I really want these people brought to SOME kind of justice.

I'm angry, I'm paranoid, I'm afraid and I'm tired. At the very least, I'm worried about the safety of my belongings when I'm away from home. At worst, I'm afraid of the people I'm renting from, and (okay this is dramatic) what they're capable of doing. And YES, I'm looking for a place to move.

There's a lot more to this story that I don't want to post publicly. I've been keeping records and a log on the incidents related to this sublet situation (which are many), and I would be happy to talk more in-depth to anyone willing to help. I feel uncomfortable being too specific on a public bulletin board on the Internet, so if you want more specific information, please e-mail me. Maybe I should just let it all out, but right now I'm so paranoid, I feel like THIS is even a risk. If you only feel comfortable responding via this bulletin board, that's fine. I appreciate any form of help or advice I get at this point. Even my friends are at a loss for what I should do.

And if anyone knows who I can go to for support or good legal advice or even just a big dang hug, I appreciate any referrals you can offer.

Thanks so much in advance,
Grape Tang

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name