Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Hot water heater/number of occupant questions

Posted by Minty on March 17, 2000 at 18:40:13:

I live in a non-regulated 3 unit building. The total # of occupants in the building until this week have been 5, and now it is to be 8. I spoke with the new occupants, and one of them had checked the hot water heater (they also have basement access), and determined it to be about 30 gallons. I did a search on about.com, and completed a neat water heater "worksheet," and calculated that we would need something over 75 gallons for 8 people. As it is, we have to wait to the heater to "fill up" at times. I know that when the other 3 on the1st floor start showering in the morning, for example, this is going to be a big problem .

1. Warranty of Habitability states that the hot water must be at 120 degrees fahrenheit 24 hours a day. Does this count for when the water goes cold while the heater is filling up, or does there have to be a constant stream of hot water?

2. Does anyone have an opinion on how to best bring this up with the management company (it's literally a mom and pop company, and the LL is an old, old man who is most likely friends with them) so that this matter can be solved quickly?

3. If the LL actually replaces the heater, can he legally charge us for it?

Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name