Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Slum-lords must go...So I am taking no prisoners

Posted by Neek in Southwest on March 20, 2000 at 04:25:12:

I need some advice on breaking my lease that started the first Saturday in March. My family and I have moved into this apartment that is a "cestpool". My husband did not do a good inspection of the apartment and I left it up to him because I was very sick. Well, we have a wood rat and a colony of mice. The Assistant Manager told my husband that maybe we should put out some mouse traps and hung up the phone. My husband told me this and I said I am taking no prisoners. So called management and calmly inquired about who owned this complex. She refused to answer my questions. Poor her...because when I get done, she and the staff will be looking for another job because I am taking down the owners and management. I will continually keep you up on my fight. First, I looked on the house rules and pulled the management name from the house rules. I know from studing some law courses in undergrad that must real estate ventures that own huge apartment complexes protect themselves by filing as a corporation. What I also figured is since they are scum of the earth and want to make the most money at the expense of the tenant; they set up their company as a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust). All corporations must file with securities exchange. ADVICE: If you do not know the management, write a letter and send it certified requesting both management name and owner and go to the county clerk office- tax assessor's dept. WHY DO I SAY BOTH? You want to stay one step ahead of the bastards. Let them figure that you are going through the chain of command. Go to the tax accessors and then write the letter. Mail letter only when you have called the proper code enforcement agencies. ALWAYS send your letters by certified mail with return receipt. Take pictures and/or video. Get eyewitnesses. Statements and have them notorized. WHY? Because even code enforcement screws up. In my case, she made some comments about what is allowed by law that were untrue and some of her comments were biased toward the owner. In e

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name