Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Illegalsublet

Posted by Grape Tang on March 20, 2000 at 20:17:43:

In Reply to: Illegalsublet posted by bob on March 20, 2000 at 19:33:55:

i'm NOT a legal professional, so consider what i'm about to say as a stepping-off point, NOT as professional advice. i'm in the middle of a nasty illegal sublet situation, and every day is an education for me. sooo, that said:

do you have checks or money order receipts which prove you paid the lease holder rent? if so, you can sue the lease holder for THREE TIMES every month's rent you paid. in other words, TALK TO A LAWYER. SOON. also, if you get a lawyer who's really on your side, the lawyer might be able to finesse the landlord into putting you on the lease of the apartment after he gives the lease holder the boot.

but MAKE SURE your sublet is illegal.

and good luck. if you're in a situation even vaguely resembling mine, you're going to need all the luck you can get.

: Grape I'm with you.. I live in an Illegal sublet and the landlord has discovered me . The lease has been up for months now and he really wants me out... How long can I legally stay?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name