Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: NJ: No defense allowed for nonpayment..now you know

Posted by richard on March 26, 2000 at 10:50:27:

In Reply to: NJ: No defense allowed for nonpayment posted by NJ question on March 26, 2000 at 03:44:22:

That verbal agreements are worth the paper its printed on.....

Not much you can do except pay the full rent today,get a reciept from the landlord and go back to the court and see if you appeal it......

------------------------------------------------------

: I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with NJ tenant law. I had a situation where a landlord had verbally offered to let me fall back on rent in order to pay off some other bills -- he had serious problems with some other tenants, claimed he was trying to get them out, which were partially to blame for my problem. He then went to court & got a judgment for eviction. Time 1: rent was already paid, I didn't show up in court because he had assured me he had dropped the case. Time 2: about a month later, again assured me everything was okay. I went to court this time. The judge would not even allow me to give a defense. His only question was: Do you have the money for the rent today? When I tried to explain our agreement he simply said: If you don't have the money today, you're out. He gave a judgment in favor of the landlord. When I asked whether I was allowed to appeal he literally said -- oh, yes, yes, you have 45 days to appeal, but by that time you'll have been evicted. He made a sweeping state

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name