Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord wants to 'temporarily' connect two apartments

Posted by marc on March 30, 2000 at 13:39:39:

Since December I have been leasing a studio apartment in a recently completed addition to an existing building. My studio was originally built as the lower portion of a duplex apartment. But because the Landlord could not rent the duplex, he removed the spiral stair and made two studio apartments.

Now, because the building's occupancy is different from that for which the Landlord originally applied for a mortgage, the Landlord wants to 'temporarily' re-connect the two apartments and add the spiral stair. He believes that if the stair is in place he can pass his bank inspection. He assures me that this whole process will take about 2 weeks.

I have presented the Landlord with a written set of conditions which his work must follow, which includes compensating my inconvenience with credit towards my rent. The longer the process, the more the credit. This will be incentive to make the everything go quickly. However, the Landlord scoffed at my conditions and made veiled threats they can do the work anyway.

How can I prevent coming home one day to find that he has turned my apartment into a construction site? Worse, how do I prevent being evicted if I don't agree to the work? And, how do I keep from implicating myself in this shady undertaking?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name