Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Early termination of standard rent stabilized lease?

Posted by VRC on March 31, 2000 at 12:03:06:

In Reply to: Re: Early termination of standard rent stabilized lease? posted by Mark Smith on March 31, 2000 at 08:24:15:

Thanks for the info and response, Mark. I gave the sheriff bank information for four different accounts, but the small claims process has taken a long time so a couple of accounts have been closed--I have my fingers crossed about the others. The apartment I rented was a sublease in a co-op building. I agreed to move when the landlord (i.e., owner of my apartment) went into a contract to sell the apt and did not bother to return my deposit after it was sold. He sent a lawyer to s.c. court to try to get me to drop my claim but did not give the lawyer the $1500 with which to pay me, so I told the lawyer to let the judge hear what he had to say (at which point the lawyer disappeared). I am now going to see if I can go after money from a business that I believe the guy is affiliated with.

This guy had suggested that I move into another apartment which he owned and had planned to eventually put on the market in the same building because my decorating skills helped sell the apartment I had been living in--it sold within two weeks while other apts in the building had been on the market for at least six-nine months. I called the Co-op Authority (or whatever that city agency is) to find out which apartment he still owns (so a lien could be put on it). I was told that it is confidential information and Co-ops do not fall under the same rules governing real property ownership. The management agent of the building would not give me the info either.

Unfortunately they don't pay for the time it takes to track these folks down and do all the paperwork, but at least the interest is accruing. I haven't had a lot of luck with apartments here in NYC but sure have learned a lot in the process. Thanks again.

VRC

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name