Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Teeth Grinding Traffic Noise...

Posted by John B on April 06, 2000 at 17:40:01:

Currently, my partner and I are renting a very charming apartment in the Philadelphia suburbs that upon initial inspection seemed quiet enough and suitable for our needs however after moving in- the first night in fact we have discovered that the noise level from the street below is at a deafening level. SIRENS-LARGE TRACTOR TRAILERS-BOOM BOOM BOOM-you get the picture. When we viewed the apartment-very hastily I might add, we had to make a decision-very hastily as well since it was supposedly being shown immediately afterwards for the second time to another prospective tenent, who was shall we say interested as well. It appearred to be quiet- a nice place with quiet neighbors on both sides however the noise level particularly during most of the day from the road three stories down is enough to drive you crazy. A conversation in the living room turns into a shouting match even with the windows closed, and you can forget about any sort of sleep until way into the late evening- only to be blasted out of bed from 5 am onward. I know that we can't stop traffic, and unfortunately we have entered into a very binding year's lease which ends 03/01. If we leave after one year- a repainting fee is required and if we leave early of course we would lose our security deposit+be legally bound for the unpaid portion of the lease. I might add that I am suffering from a chronic illness that requires me to take a medication that at times leaves me quite tired and in need of rest particularly a good night's sleep. In conversation with the building manager I was questioned about the noise level only after we had moved in. I equated it to sleeping on the westbound lane of the Schuylkill Expressway during rush hour. What would be our option at this point since we have only lived here a month or so. Someone told me that we had 90 days to raise any complaints- which we are about to do, I could get medical documentation, and ask for a quieter unit on the other side of the building if one was available and even pay the repainting fee-1/2 month's rent because we'd like to stay in the building and with the management company, only we can't sleep here. Sleepless In Haverford.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name