Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

landlord and realtor access with key

Posted by dbmjl on April 12, 2000 at 19:34:17:

I've searched all the past posts, but I still havn't found all the answers... I would really appreciate any help with my situation. Thanks in advance.

My questions are:
1. Does the landlord have the right to give a key (either permantly or temporarily) for access to my apartment to a real estate agent without my consent, or notification (of any kind - written or verbal, directly from the landlord)and for access not within the "24hr reasonable notice"

2. Are there any special clauses to the rules above when you have a dog (which we have with consent from landlord)?

My situation:
I'm renting an apartment (1 of 2) in a house in the city of Buffalo, NY. I have an oral month-to-month lease agreement with the landlord (since 7/99). He recently put the house up for sale (12/99). I have had to deal with realtors calling (no written notice)for showings approx. once a week, usually with 24 hour notice sometimes less, sometimes more (never same day). Up until now the landlord and real estate agent has been OK with us telling them when "a good time to show" the apartment is (we said preferably after 5pm weekdays and weekends any time is OK). I've come home on a lunch break once at noon to show the apartment in order to be "reasonable". Today at 3pm, an anonymous representative from the agency left a message on my answering machine asking to show tomarrow at 10:30am. I called back to say it wasn't a good time - after 5pm is better. The listing agent left a message later today (around 4pm) on the machine notifying that since I couldn't be there at 10:30, he's arranged with the landlord to get the key and show himself in... and we should put our dog (for which we have permission) in a locked room.

I'd prefer not to talk to my landlord until I know my legal rights, so I'm just going to arrange to be at the apartment tomarrow at 10:30am (taking time off work) for this time until I know more.

I would really appreciate any help, advice or links to info about this.
Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name