Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Recurrent water damage

Posted by Fran on April 23, 2000 at 22:25:21:

I live in a rental building in Manhattan (built in 1989, no doorman). I have been living in this building for 7 years; the landlord imposes 2-year leases on all tenants. For several years, I have had water damage in my alcove studio: leaks on walls (living room, bathroom, kitchen), inside closets, etc. After extensive water damage, the landlord repainted my apartment about 2 years ago (but my rent went up by $270/month when I had to renew the lease)The water problem is apparently due to a problem with the construction and I was told by the Landlord that they repair each time there is a problem but so far, they have not been able to fix it permanently. For the past few months, water leaks inside my walls have gotten worse. I am afraid to use some of the electrical plugs because the wall is wet. Today, for the first time I got another leak inside a closet where I had important documents and photos that got totally soaked. I never know where the next leak will occur. My lease is expiring on Dec 1, 2000. I would like to leave before that. Can I use this water damage issue to break my lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name