Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lease and "Quiet Enjoyment"

Posted by Anna on May 06, 2000 at 09:17:23:

In Reply to: Lease and posted by leveck on May 05, 2000 at 12:50:18:

: Our business moved into a legally zoned light industrial commercial space in Brooklyn six months ago. Our
: neighbor, also in the same zoning, who has apparently not paid rent for three months has been harassing our
: business the entire time because we make essential noises while conducting our business. Her forms of
: harassment have included screaming at me and my workers through our garage door while open, making repetative
: phone calls in which she accuses us of "killing the people" and literally spitting on me in one occasion. We have
: maintained calm and refused to speak to her as she seems volatile and dangerous. We have filed a complaint with
: the police and they are unable to do anything with out our receiving a restraining order. We were under the
: impression that our Landlord was taking care of the problem, he has not done anything other than build thicker
: walls and sealed her space from ours entirely. What can we do, and what, if we take further police action could she
: do?

You didn't say: is this your neighbor's place of residence or business? Do you have the same landlord? Is the 'essential noise' your business makes within the law for volume and time of day?

Although most of the info on Tenant.Net Home is for residential tenants (commercial L&T is a little different), you could benefit from reading the sections on how to write complaint letters to your landlord. Try to get her landlord to send her a warning letter.

Otherwise: if her behaviour is menacing or threatening to you or your workers, by all means call the police every time and follow through with the Order of Protection. And keep your garage door closed.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name