Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: HELP! Hot Stuff on the way...ok an answer

Posted by Will on May 08, 2000 at 11:16:36:

In Reply to: Re: HELP! Hot Stuff on the way...ok an answer posted by Alex on May 08, 2000 at 08:04:02:

Richard is harsh but in this case he's right in a way. What does your lease say? does it forbid air conditioning, appliances? What kind of appliances do you have right now? is it feasable your apartment could handle a small air conditioner? How about one of those discrete in room Air conditioners with a simple window exhaust...

Basically if the lease doesn't explicitely say no to air conditioners you can put one in....are you rent stabilized? if not then the landlord may not be obligated to renew your lease if you piss him off....if yes, then even if you piss him off he has to renew you but he can charge and extra $25 per window you put AC in (it might be $5 but check out www.housingnyc.com for some more details).....put this all together for a legitimate answer.

Will

: I should've known that the ONLY response that I get would be from someone the board tells you to IGNORE, lol

: : Lets state facts......a 5000 BTU AC with an EER of 9 will use appox. 600 watts... LESS then a Microwave!

: : And 5000 btu's is definetely big enough for one room and usually they are on sale for $199 or less....

: : If the electric is included an you have a lease and it doesnt specifically No ac's well too bad for the Landlord.

: : So buy the AC and dont use a microwave, coffee pot,or Iron at he same time!

: : ---------------------------------------------------

:
: : : The background: I live in one of two buildings (west side) which the landlord owns. They are registered as rooming houses because the majority of the units in each building are rooms with no bathroom or kitchen. There are a few "real" apartments and I live in one of them: a studio. All of the units INCLUDE utilities.

: : : Seeing how we have had a preview of what's to come (weather wise), I have some questions.

: : : (a) This one is not all that important with the weather getting hot, just mainly curious. I have noticed that lately when I get up in the mornings, I rarely have hot water that lasts long enough for me to take a shower. I know that a lot of people use the "communal" bathroom during the same time frame in which I get ready. What are my options to gain more hot water? Can I force the landlord to install a larger water heater? LOL, I know that this will never happen, but I am curious.

: : : (b) Now the serious issue. Two summers ago I asked the landlord about how detailed it would be to hook me up with enough voltage for A/C. He told me that it would cost ME $150 for him to run the wiring for the circuit. Once that was installed, I would have to pay for the extra electricity. Last summer I roasted with 2 window fans and a floor oscillating fan. I'm ready to pass out now as I type under those same fans. My main questions--is this legal or highway robbery for the landlord to charge me for wiring? And how can he be justified in charging me for additional electricity when all utilities are included? What grounds would he be able to "compute" this charge on? What are my options to handle this situation because there is no way I will be able to go through another summer with no A/C again? I know I need to MOVE but until that happens what can I do about these issues?

: : : Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me, as I sometimes forget to check this board.

: : : Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name