Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: window air conditioner - can we install one?

Posted by John on May 08, 2000 at 13:09:09:

In Reply to: Re: window air conditioner - can we install one? posted by richard on May 05, 2000 at 17:03:27:

Dude, you have some serious personal problems... The advice was sound, but the delivery was aggressive.

Just tell them to be aware that if and when they decied to move to document all the violations in the apartment prior to moving (like 6 months before). Normal wear and tear should be addressed before they move, and to find all their old rent receipts because there maybe a time when they will need them, like small claims court.
As for the Air conditioner, check to see if their is any fray wiring in the house (apartment) and that the outlet can handle the current. If you live in a older home then the current may or may not handle the current the Air conditioner handles. People assume that any home can handle any current as long as it is 110 Volt, not true. Electrical fires start this way.
Should you be concerned for your safety? Yes. A house that is over 100 years old could have fray damaged wiring and could cause a fire.

I assume, that is why the Old lady (landlord) is so concerned with her property.

: Well its time to move.......

: do you really think this old bit*h will leave you alone...... as long as you pay your own electricity there is nothing she can do, except give you 30 days to move......

: Let someone else deal with trailer trash like her.....

: Don't pay next months rent and be out by june 30th........uh do you think she will give you back your security deposit..........and take lots of pictures of the apartment to show a judge there was
: no damage..you know she is a jerk, a loser, a scum bag so she will try and take you to small claims court........

: Its just better to be prepared

: ------------------------------------------------------------

: : Rochester, NY

: : My wife and I have lived above the same grouchy old lady, who is our landlady, for four years. Last year, I had finally had enough of her crabbiness towards us, and I told her off. She has since pretty much left us alone, except for the occasional "little note" telling us we had left the windows open, etc. when we were away. We park at a neighbor's house because are landlady is afraid that we will get oil in her driveway. My wife has bad allergies. Her doctor has recommended that we get an air conditioner for our (small) upper apartment. We are on a month-to-month rental basis. We used to have a lease, but no longer. Can we just go ahead and install the air conditioner and hope for the best (that she doesn't yell at us) and can she hike up the rent on us even though we bought the air conditioner?

: : Thank you for your help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name