Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Joining the Rent Stabilized Fray

Posted by brenda on May 15, 2000 at 15:05:55:

In Reply to: Joining the Rent Stabilized Fray posted by Jerry Weinstein on May 15, 2000 at 00:38:10:

: I hope that this query will be treated with respect. This is my first time posting, and I have observed a wide range of responses (from helpful to indignant).

: My issue: I need to move for June 1st. While I have a 2-bedroom share I can take in Greenpoint, t'mow I am going to look at a 2-bedroom that is rent-stabilized on the Lower East Side. Unfortunately, I am getting this through a broker, for a 5K fee--nearly ALL of my savings. IF the apartment is decent, I have been duly notified by the landlord and broker, that depending on the amount of repairs/Major Capital Improvements, that the rent will increase according to formula. \

I agree with the other gent that this sounds strange. My understanding is that a LL can jack up the rent by performing a "substantial rehabilitation" on a vacant apartment WITHOUT getting DHCR approval. To get an MCI, DHCR approval is required, and you can contest it. The DHCR is so slow that you may be able to delay it until the end of your lease. Weird.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name