Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Besides that I am a fool what are my rights?

Posted by Anna on May 22, 2000 at 20:03:52:

In Reply to: Besides that I am a fool what are my rights? posted by Marisa Mettner on May 22, 2000 at 16:00:34:

Even if the building currently has less than 6 units, it could be stabilized, call DHCR 718.739.6400 for a Rent History: it will show all landlord registrations since 1984.

The oil sound high: one boiler for each unit or one boiler for the building? Are you sure you paid only your share? Exactly what does that lease say about heat?

When a tenant stays after the lease expires, she becomes a month-to-month tenant on the same terms and for the same rent as the last lease. To evict you, the landlord must file for eviction in court: usually Housing Court (read about it: Housing Court Decisions on TN Home.) Use the search feature on this board: lots of previous posts concerning 'month-to-month' 'expired lease' 'eviction'. Go to the NY Tenant Info section on TN Home, linked at top of page, learn about rights for all NYS tenants.

Get more info on the building to help you negotiate new lease:

How many units in building now? 3 or more must be registered with HPD.

Is it legal for landlord to use commercial unit for residential purpose? Check the Certificate of Occupancy at Dept of Buildings.

(both have pages on http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/ ) Search here and in Housing Court Decision to see what kind of trouble your landlord could be in...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name