Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

renovations and breaking the lease

Posted by Kim on May 23, 2000 at 16:33:54:

i also have another question regarding breaking the lease. our current rent-stabilized lease is scheduled to expire 9/15/00. we want to vacate 8/1/00. they are renovating the rent-stabilized apts. in our building here and there (not consistently) but when we asked the managing agent about our apt. they said that they were not. i spoke to the broker today and he said they might be - they have gone ahead and done so on 2 other apts. even when they said they were not. we have found someone to take the apt. 8/1. however, if they decide to renovate, no one will be able to move in for a few months. i realize that housing law states that we are liable for rent 'til 9/15 but ONLY if they do not rent the apartment. this is their decision to not rerent right away and they told us they were not, so if they choose to renovate can we legally get away w/ not paying rent after 8/1? we have, in good faith, found a replacement for 8/1. we don't want to pay rent 'til 9/15!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name