Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlords "Losing" Documents

Posted by john on May 24, 2000 at 08:27:43:

Hi,

My roommate and I signed a lease on an un-rent stabilized and un-rent controlled apartment in Manhattan recently, and attached a work rider of our own to the lease, with stipulations for several repairs that needed to be made to the apartment before moving in.

The repairs had not been made when we received the keys, and the manager is now saying he's "lost" the document and can't find it. We have an original copy, without signatures, but the manager kept the signed copy with the lease at the time of lease signing. The idea was for him to give us a copy of it to us when he gave us our lease in its entirety.

The repairs have been made now, but the manager will not pro-rate the rent from the time we received the keys to the apartment, to the time the things in the rider were fixed. With no signed documentation, we can't prove he agreed to this.

What can I do? There were three witnesses (myself, roommate and broker)who saw him sign this, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do in such a situation. I find it deeply disturbing.

Thanks,
John

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name