Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Please help:My Roommate Broke the Lease

Posted by Annie on May 24, 2000 at 13:34:47:

Dear Friends,

My roommate and I signed a lease(both of our names shown on a same lease) to rent our apt till the end of this Nov. Now she left for another State without officially terminating the lease with our landlord neither leaving the keys, she also left lots stuff occupied her bedroom.

Without writing down(which is a big mistake), we agreed to pay our own part of the rent each month. And most of the months, she paid hers and I paid mine(we also paid deposit separatedly).

What should I do here? My landlord mentioned he would file a 5-day notice for both of us. I don't feel fair to pay my roommate's rent for the rest of our lease, nor can I find another person to sublease the room(since my roommate didn't say it clearly she left). Is there a way I only pay my own part of rent and still live there? Or is that smart to wait till our landlord to file both of us? If the 5-day notice is filed, will my roommate be judged to take responsibility to pay the rest of lease or she only lost her deposit?

Thank you very much for any advice!

Annie

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name