Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord turned off electricity

Posted by Anna on May 26, 2000 at 08:00:21:

In Reply to: Landlord turned off electricity posted by Rob on May 24, 2000 at 23:50:30:

: (I'm the guy whose apartment was declared illegal by the Dept of Buildings and now the landlord is working overtime to harass us to get out.)

: Wed Night: First the landlord comes banging on the window for 15 minutes and I do not answer because my father is the leaseholder and I am sick of dealing with them. Then, they call twice and hang up on the answering machine. I was in a completely dark apartment with just a small 13" tv on in the livingroom.

The blue flicker of the TV is visible and recognizable. They assumed someone was home.

: So, they turn our electricity off from the main line. I call 911, and they take their sweetass time getting here and the two women would prefer to make the situation into "You're not going to tell us who we're going to arrest" and they say that they don't have to arrest the landlord because he "is going to turn the electricity back on." I told the officers that I have spoken to lawyers and detectives who told me that they absolutely would be arrested if they turned the electricity off.

: We sat in the dark while the police officers negotiated for well over a half hour to turn the electricity back on with the entire family. The officer still insisted that she didn't have to do anything because he turned the electricity back on.

: How much of a complete violation of procedure was it for the police to refuse to issue a summons or make an arrest?

Did you have ask them to read the procedure on the Illegal Eviction page from TN Home?
Even if they read it, they prefer to settle disputes without arrest, at least the first time. Get a copy of the incident report for next time. Try to speak calmly with the Community Liaison Officer or the Precinct Captain: this may bring better results next time something happens.

http://tenant.net/Rights/illevict/illevict.html

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name