Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking a lease in Boston.

Posted by Rita in MA on May 26, 2000 at 09:41:17:

In Reply to: Breaking a lease in Boston. posted by ben on May 25, 2000 at 22:42:39:

: My wife and I have bought a new house and we'd like to break our lease. Our rental company has said that if we find a tenant to rent for July 1st, then we don't have to pay the ridiculous "termination fee." They have said that we would have to pay June (which would be our last month) and July, but that they will refund July if we rent the apartment for July 1st. How safe am I in assuming that June is our last month and it's already paid (we paid last months rent up front)? If we find a tenant, and just walk away, what are the chances of the rental company coming after us?

I think their offer is reasonable, but get it in writing (or send them a letter confirming the conversation). If you find a tenant for July 1, then their costs are minimal (although they can deduct those costs from your security deposit). They cannot collect rent from the new tenant for July and collect from you too. If you get them a new tenant for July 1 and have paid through June, there really is nothing for them to come after you for.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name