Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Housing Lawyers

Posted by gary on May 27, 2000 at 09:37:13:

In Reply to: Housing Lawyers posted by Rob on May 24, 2000 at 23:55:46:

: I have contacted all 5 lawyers who have advertisements on this site. One lawyer spoke to me for free, but wanted a retainer. Two more lawyers told me they wanted a $80 and $100 consultation fee and would want at least $1500-$2000 retainer. Two never responded whatsoever.

: I have AIDS and I live with my Dad who is making $20,000 and we pay $800 a month rent here. How does someone get the help they need without spending more money than they will get back? My particular case can't be done in housing court apparently, but I'm really at a loss for why this can't be done more economically..

: Does anyone have any ideas?

It's not clear from your post the kind of legal work you require. Some things -- DHCR filings, for instance -- you can do yourself if you research the issues. My tenants assn. hired a fairly prominent tenant law firm and we were not happy with the work that was done. We fired him and did well by ourselves. However, we had a DHCR case, not a court case.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name