Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: fire

Posted by Rita in MA on May 31, 2000 at 12:56:36:

In Reply to: Re: fire posted by Anna on May 21, 2000 at 15:06:27:

: Your landlord has insurance and should put in a claim. If his insurance doesn't reimburse him in full or enough, he might sue you for damages. Collect evidence now: photograph everything, get the fire dept's report, etc.

: There are accidents, then there are foreseeable events...

Yes, the LL is responsible for making the repairs. However, since you admit the fire was caused by you, albeit accidentally, even if the insurance company pays off the LL completely, the insurance company will likely come after you for the money. It's called subrogation. And the other tenants whose apartments were damaged (or their insurance companies) can also come after you as well. And, hating to agree with richard, this is why you should have renter's insurance. This could wind up being very expensive for you but I'm not sure how yu can mitigate it at this point.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name