Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: painting: HMC: every 3 years

Posted by Anna on June 01, 2000 at 19:03:44:

In Reply to: painting posted by James Kamish on June 01, 2000 at 10:36:14:

: I have lived in my resnt stabilized apt. since 1978...in all that time my landlord has never painted. Truth to tell, the original lease had a clause refusing to paint. i was so happy to get the apt. and being young and quite dumb, i let it slide... what options have I inre getting a paint=job out of this guy?

He's required to paint every 3 years. Read about this and many other rights you have in the NY Tenant section of http://www.tenant.net/

I, and most of my friends, would NEVER let our landlords paint our apartments: they use unskilled labor and paint that is so cheap and so thin it's disgusting. And they cause $$$$ in damages to furniture, appliances, etc.

Some landlords will give you a small 'painting allowance' and let you hire real painters. Mine does this: his allowance never even covers the cost of the paint! Still, it is less expensive and less stressful than losing work-time and then suing him in Small Claims Court for the damages.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name