Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Please help me before I get killed

Posted by Silvia on June 07, 2000 at 16:25:01:

I moved into a private home in Brooklyn with my new husband. When given the keys to the front door and third floor apartment (one of three total), I noticed that the front door keys did not work. When I paid the first months rent I showed the landlady that the keys did not work and she said she would leave her husbands set in the mailbox. She never did, but the front door was always unlocked. We moved into the apartment and discovered there was no water at all from the kitchen sink. Meanwhile I realized my new husband was no prince Charming and he began to beat on me for months. I tried to be quiet about it, never screaming for help. The couple with five kids downstairs fought louder then we did.

A month went by with me calling a leaving numerous pleas on the landlords answering machine with no return call at all. Finally it was the first day of the second month. I came home with my husband to the apartment and found the front door completely locked. We were locked out. We rang the bells of the other two aprtments, called the landlords, and finally three hours later went next door and asked the tenant to call them. She must have known another number because the landlord came right over. Meanwhile tensions were high between my husband and I and I was sobbing incessantly. The landlady tried to open the door and could not even with her keys. She called her husband who came over and he tried but could not with his set of keys. Finally he got angry and broke the door open. Now the lock sits, with the front plate on so that you can turn the knob, but no back knob at all, so that someone can get in BUT NO ONE CAN GET OUT.

My husbnad and I went upstairs, I got the rent and came back downstairs, and demanded to know when the landlord could fix the sink. I went back upstairs, was beaten up, and the next day I convinced my husband to move out. He has since moved back to his parents, but wont stop coming over and pounding on the door. Once he managed to break in. I screamed for help but the neighbors did not call the police.

Now the landlord came over two days after he left, saw the apartment in disarray and still has not fixed the sink. I have tried this month to pay the rent with no avail. I am frightened and I have 20 dollars after I pay the rent this time so there is no moving out and running. I dont have any family here and I am very scared. Can someone please tell me what I can do to get this stuff done:

I need the phone switched (Bell Altantic told me not only would they not disconnect the ophone and put it in my name, but they demanded to know how to reach my husband so they could tell him I am trying to do this)

I need the lock fixed most of all because if he would not get into the building he would not be banging on my door nor breaking in

Getting my sink fixed would be nice eventually but I really need the door fixed.

Is there some government office I can call?

Thank you in advance for your help! I am most grateful!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name