Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Is this legal?

Posted by Shelley on June 07, 2000 at 21:08:23:

In Reply to: Is this legal? posted by George on June 07, 2000 at 20:18:28:

: Can an out of state attorney bring an action against me at 111 Centre Street if this attorney neither lives or has an office in New York State. This attorney is admitted to practice in NYS but his New York City address is only a mail receiving center. All his mail to me comes from another out of state address.
: Is there any law or bar regulation which I can use to have this action dismissed for this reason? Thanks.

Is this a Landlord/Tenant lawsuit? Is this attorney your landlord?
There are lots of courts at 111 Centre: Small Claims, Housing, Civil.
Read the Small Claims rules on seems to me they have to sue you where you live or where the apartment is, depending on the type of case.
Why not just call the court clerk's office and ask them?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name