Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Victim of burglary

Posted by Shelley on June 07, 2000 at 21:34:36:

In Reply to: Victim of burglary posted by Lan Tuazon on June 07, 2000 at 10:13:52:

Sue him. Do it yourself in Small Claims but the limit is $3000. Sue in Civil Court for more than that. Include thousands for pain and suffering. Consult a lawyer or two: talk to them free or for $25 for 1/2 hour through the NYSBA: NY State Bar Association referral service.

Note: if you sue and he contacts his insurance company, the insurance will cover it. My building has to notify their insurance comapny for claims over $25,000. The insurance company is not supposed to pay if the landlord caused or contributed to the problem, but it did pay my claim anyway. The entry door to the building had been broken for over 3 weeks. Actually, I would have been happier if the insurance company had not paid thereby forcing the landlord to pay me and or his attorneys out of his own pocket. He did not learn his lesson: we've had 3 break-ins since then.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name