Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Death in family. What to do about taking over apartment?

Posted by Afron on June 12, 2000 at 16:44:14:

My girlfriend and I were looking for an apartment for a while. At that time, she was living with an elderly aunt. Her aunt just passed about a week ago. Now, we are thinking about taking over the apartment. My girlfriend's name is not on the lease but she established legal residency there for 5 years. Here are my concerns: Her aunt was living in the apartment for over 40 years so the landlords didn't do much of a repair job or upgrading the apartment. The rent is about $280. How can we determine if we can get the apartment? What would we have to do? Also, how much can they legally raise the rent? And if they raise the rent, are they required by law to upgrade/repair apartment? I would like some new wiring and appliances. The ones in the apartment now are old. These are my main concerns now. I know the management will eventually find out that my girlfriend's aunt died. So we want to be honest and do what is right instead of hiding and waiting until they "catch" us.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name